Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Feed the World

I'm scarfing down a mini-bag of Orville Redenbacher's and I just noticed that it isn't a 100 calorie Smart Pop pack. F*cker. There go the points I was saving for a glass of wine tonight. I am doing Weight Watchers, and before you all scream, "Yeah, right like you need W.W. G," complete with a roll of the eyes, I was in need of some discipline to help me fit into my clothes again. I'm actually doing pretty well so far---following it, anyway. Anyway I thought this would make a good segue for a post about hunger.

At least I am hungry by choice, right? Many are not. So I'm here to pimp a really cool project I heard about this morning called "Labels are for Jars!"

"Wear your shirt. Fill your jar. Feed the hungry."
From their site:

Our goal is to raise as much money as possible to feed as many hungry people as possible, and to do so we have designed a thought provoking black t-shirt, which in addition to looking great, helps to undermine societal labeling. The shirt is adorned with a commonly used negative label, such as “addict”, “troubled teen”, or “mentally ill” on the chest, and “Labels Are For Jars” across the back.

The shirt literally comes in a jar with a coin slot in the lid that you can fill and donate to the hungry. I immediately thought of Gen and Jamie , the tee shirt addicts, because the shirts are kind of cool. Check it out. I love how they explain what makes each word a label.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I am thinking of doing weight watchers

Anonymous said...

OK, so I'm definitely rolling my eyes! But if I've learned one thing from Weight Watchers, it's that even tiny people can sometimes get a little larger than optimum. (and just between us, I'm glad you're going a proven healthy route, unlike the Atkins fan we know & love!) I'll be rootin' for you to make goal.
-- magnoliajem