Sunday, August 21, 2005

83 Words

Swank Writing is a group dedicated to the "advancement of (mostly) alternative literary forms." "Swank Writing is the birthplace and ongoing home of the 83 words writing project, which began in 2002 as a restless response to the literary scene. The rules are simple: exactly 83 words, in any form, on any subject. The goals are simple, too: foster community and conversation; provide a forum for experimentation; and work on a human scale to explore and imagine both where we are and where we might go."

I love this. I love trying to say what I feel and want to express in a few words as possible. Ron from Swank is affiliated with Grub Street, and my last exercise was to write 83 words. I don't care what anyone thinks about this one, it's for me.

*****

Nocturnal Emissions

It's not my heart I wear on my sleeve, it's more like my guts. A sort of emotional gastritis. Stuff just spills out of me like vomit; and really - who wants to see that? Granted people are compelled to gawk at the display. Even after you clean it up, it leaves a stain.There are the whispers,

"Can you believe her? She puked all over the façade."

All one can do is hold your head high and answer, "Yes, what of it?"

No comments: