Friday, April 13, 2007

the Imus thing because you know I can't keep my mouth shut

I think it's sad that he was fired.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not a fan. I'm not an apologist or defending Imus. He's a stupid, un-funny, ugly old shock-jock and the last person who should be making hair comments but... he became the cause-du jour of two righteous men who have tons of better things to focus their voice and energy on that would help the black community than the moronic rambling of a TV/radio personality and IMHO it reeks of hypocrisy, unfairness, ugliness, and greed. And I'm not even talking about the whole, "well the rap artists say it all the time" thing. What about Rush? What about Ann Coulter? Where is the uproar when they say something stupid and offensive? I guess Rosie wasn't fired from The View because the Chinese community doesn't have a Rev. Al Sharpton equivalent ringing the call to arms for her head on a platter. They accepted her apology. Imus pretty much put his junk on the block for Sharpton and Jackson to cut off with a meat cleaver but that didn't satisfy them.

But all of that isn't even what gets my dander up about this whole sad affair. I feel sad for the young women of the Rutgers basketball team. I feel sad that their self esteem is so little that the words of a man they've never even met, (words that they probably never would have heard until Al Sharpton was so kind to point them out for everyone) can "scar them for life" and take away all their accomplishments, ruin the whole season for them.

I mean that is just bullshit.

If there's anything therapy taught me it's that no one makes you feel anything; you are responsible for your own stuff. If Imus's words really negated all you did then that is your problem honey. I really find it hard to believe these women have had their accomplishments negated by this incident given what I've read and heard. I'd be all like, "Imus who? What-evah! d*ckhead." And if that's the case and they just let themselves be manipulated by their coach and Jesse Jackson then we'll never break this cycle of victim-hood.

Imus is nothing but a playground bully looking for attention. And bully for him, he got it once more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's no need to feel sad for the Rutgers women: From what I've seen their self-esteem is just fine. People with low self-esteem wouldn't have the grit to stand up for themselves and against bigotry with the grace that they did. And, unless I missed something, I don't think that any of them said that Imus' comments negated all their accomplishments.

As for whether or not they're scarred for life by this, what life experience qualifies you to pass judgment? With all respect, G, you're a pampered white woman who has never been (and probably never will be) targeted by bigotry. I have. I've been praying in synagogue when a car-load of anti-semites have circled the building shouting hateful things. I've seen my temple defiled by swastikas. Believe me, even one hateful incident can scar a person for life.

Characterizing these young women as being "manipulated by their coach & Jesse Jackson", denigrating their expressed feelings, objectifies & victimizes them just as Imus did.

-- Magnoliajem

Anonymous said...

p.s.....Obviously, I have more than a little Mei-Mei in me, as we all do! If you haven't already seen Mei-Mei in R, just wait......

Gina said...

LOL, I think I've met Mei-Mei at some point but I'm not sure if I'd make the connection.

Of course I shouldn't presume to know, and can't relate to having that kind of racism put to me. I'm just cynical when it comes to the media, (and Sharpton). I'm not saying that they should just "get over it." I just think though, and maybe this is idealistic, but if people don't let words hurt them, if they rise above, then the words lose their power. But you're right, it's easy for me to say when I haven't experienced the feelings first hand.

This is what Heather Zurich said in the press conference that stuck in me:

But all of our accomplishments were lost …. Our moment was taken away- Our moment to celebrate our success, our moment to realize how far we came on and off the court as young women; we were stripped of this moment by the degrading comments by Mr. Imus last Wednesday.


I maintain that Heather shouldn't let anyone take that away from her. None of them should. I realize they are hurting, and frustrated by all the media disruption, but but despite how despicable his comment was, to let it diminish or wipe out their accomplishments gives Imus, or any ignorant bigot using racial slurs the power, and makes her the victim. I would hope that that was just hyperbole.

via the AP
We grew up in a world where racism exists, and there's nothing we can do to change that," said Matee Ajavon, another member of the team. "I think that this has scarred me for life."

Leesa said...

Personally, the Imus firing does not bother me. His employers did not want him around any more. Case closed. I see this first as employer rights. Piss off the corporate sponsors too many times and the well dries up.