Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A note about discourse

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

In his book, "The Seven Spiritual Laws For Success" Deepak Chopra speaks of non-judgment in which he means we must practice non-defensiveness and we cannot expect or try to push our will on others. The two concepts do go hand in hand.

In regards to the large discussion of Betty Friedan, feminism, women working, fulfillment, juggling, greed, etc... as Aristotle said, no one has to "get it." I think the original point of my post got taken way off on tangents that muddled and complicated what we were talking about, causing people to debate and agreeing with each other at the same time and not even realize it.

I don't think anyone was trying to persuade or imply that their perspective or experiences were "right" or "better", people were just contributing to a discussion, one I was happy to see so many get involved in. I'd would love to see more of them happen, so I hope everyone reading realizes that their opinions matter, and variety is the spice of life. It'd be rather Orwellian if we all lived and thought the same way now, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like him...I hated that book!

pgh