Wednesday, December 07, 2005

"How about tens and twenties?"

"I never get what I really want...

Real Estate.


A Charlie Brown Christmas turns 40 this season. (So did my husband, and I bet he could express the same sentiment!) I watched it last night with Biggest One. Now I have seen this special probably 30 out of the forty years it's run, but last night having just caught it by accident like that made it seem special. I tried to explain to my son how for me growing up we didn't have DVDs and cable; we had to wait all year for that special or movie to come on, and check the listings to make sure we were in front of the TV at that specific time. Just popping a DVD in a machine whenever you want doesn't seem to carry that same holiday magic. You could watch it in June if you wanted to.

We sat on the couch giggling when Snoopy danced on the piano in between Schroeder and Lucy, or when Lucy counts to five while making her fist to convince Linus to memorize his lines. It was a lot of fun, and as I sat and listened to Shultz's dialog I found myself thinking how brilliant it was. I suddenly saw the irony of choosing children to be the vehicle for this message that is most likely lost on many of them when they are young. It's most often us grown-ups who need to be reminded of "what Christmas is all about," something that can be just as necessary now as in 1965.

How often do we succumb to stress and let the holiday season become a burden instead experiencing the joy it's supposed to bring? My friend Shell recounted a story to me recently of how she found herself shopping at a chain discount department store the Sunday before Christmas. It was a hellish scene for sure. Instead of letting all those stressed out vibes infect her she paused and smiled at people as she made her way through the store, saying excuse me. She said it was infectious. I pictured this chain reaction, pay it forward kind of scenario where one act of kindness spread across the store and an entire crowd of people. I doubt that was the case, but imagine the results if just half of us spread joy instead of irritability? Maybe good will toward men needs to precede the peace on Earth.

Now go out and spread that holiday magic. :) Bake some cookies or something. Then send them, to me. *g*

Love,
G. ~ reformed pantophobic.

No comments: